Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Triple Option Volume 11

Well, it's the time leading up to the Super Bowl, and I'm sure there are hundreds of topics to talk about, however I will pick just three!  I know, to be so daring, is to be great.  Leggo!

Incentive...


The Give
Well, Richard Sherman, or "Dick" as I'll call him, has made himself a big ol' name in the NFL with his rant last Sunday after the Seahawks defeated the 49'ers in the NFC Championship game.  Look, first off, act like you've fucking been here bro.  You may very well be the best corner in the league, but you just planted some bushes in the NFL.  Yes, YOU Dick, you lowered the standard of the NFL for a moment to bush league.  Now, if you have a beef with Crabtree, keep it between ya'll.  Go shoot him at a night club, whatever, don't come in my living room with your bullshit.  You may very well be from Stanford, but I'm not sure if that's the one in California, or some low rent projects on the south side of Chicago.  Play the friggin' game!  You made a great play, no doubt, and I'm sure Crabtree dissed' you, however, that doesn't make two shits worth of difference in the outcome of the game or the effort your teammates put in to help get you and themselves to the position you guys were in.  In other words, Richard...don't be a Dick...



The Keep
Wes Welker's hit on Aqib Talib has also been under much scrutiny this past week.  Leave it up to ESPN and Sports Illustrated to go dig up all the guys who Welker has pissed off over his career and interview them on what they thought of the hit.  Now that's good journalism there.  Like Ron Burgandy in Anchorman 2 said, "Create a story, even if there isn't one".  You stay classy now.  Anyhow, looking at the tape, yes the play "could have" been ruled illegal, but it was two crossing routes (looked kinda like a version of Mesh out of trips) that ended up doing just what they are designed to do, rub defenders and get a receiver into the open cleanly.  Here's a good look at the play on NFL Networks' website.  Here's another look at a zoomed in version of the actual hit.


Here's the actual play that was run by the Broncos:


And here's the traditional "Mumme'" version of Mesh (thanks to Chris over at Smart Football):



I have a hard time believing that a player, coming off a concussion, such as Welker would do something like this intentionally.  I mean, you can see as he clears, he's aware he's going to get hit and actually turns to avoid the hit or at the very least minimize the damage to himself.  It's not like he went low, cut Talib, or lowered his helmet.  It's a rub route, don't get all bent out of shape.  The unfortunate matter was the fact that New England's best DB had to leave the game.  You hate to see that, but it's part of the game, just deal with it.  I guess this is why I'm so surprised about Belichick actually whining about the hit.  Normally tight-lipped Belechick has blasted Welker here recently.  I'm just wondering, if he's actually watching the tape, or the fact that he hasn't won a Super Bowl in a while is clouding his judgment.  You have to admit, we all would say of any coach in the league maybe only Rex Ryan has done more with less talent.  Belechick isn't given a roster just loaded with talent.  This leads me to believe that maybe Mr. Kraft and Belechick are trying to reinvent "Moneyball" but this time using football as the medium.  Anyhow, I'm losing the focus here, but it just seems as though in all the post-game interviews the tension is pretty thick when Belechick is addressing the media.  No way can this guy be on the hot seat, but when you have somebody who is so enamored with winning, especially with winning the "big one" (you know, the last game of the season), it can take it's toll on you.  Anyhow, my ruling is out, Welker's innocent, and Belechick is guilty of thinking anyone outside of Boston gives a shit.  Let's move on.

"Great Oden's Raven!"


The Pitch
You gotta hand it to Peyton Manning.  That guy is resilient.  Just when you think, "Ah, we've seen the last of him", here he comes roaring back.  Manning, having come back from neck surgery, twice now, has defied all odds on his return to the Super Bowl.  Believe me, I never thought it would come to this, but he's done one hell of a job in helping the Broncos get back to the Super Bowl.  Which leads me to my point here, and that is the value of a leader.  I think the true mark of a not only a good NFL QB, but a good leader, in general, is do they make the people around them better.  If the answer is yes, you've got the makings of a good leader.  Manning has this characteristic, and has had everywhere he's gone.  Sure he's had talent, but how many times have we seen talent improperly led not produce (think the 2012 Auburn Tigers here).  Manning's very presence makes the Broncos a different team.  Which as much as I hate to agree with Colin Cowherd, the NFL is a very QB driven league, and Manning is in the driver's seat.  I will also add, after watching ESPN's "The Book of Manning", I have a very renewed respect for not only Peyton, but for all the Manning boys and Archie.  Of course, being a Gator fan, I always like to remind everyone that Peyton was oh-fer against Spurrier and the Gators!



I'm not sure where the Super Bowl will go, Seattle's defense is pretty damn good, but it's hard to count Manning out.  I know Peyton has somewhat dis proven the fact he can play in inclement weather, but I think the Seahawk defense and the bad weather may not be the best for him.  I'm going to say Seattle 27-Denver 21 in a game that doesn't really get separated until the fourth quarter.  What say you?  Hit me up on Twitter @FballIsLifeBlog or send me an email at footballislifeblog@yahoo.com.

The Two-Point Conversion
I don't like Tom Brady.  I respect him, but don't like him.  Looks like I'm not the only one.


Duece