Thursday, September 20, 2012

Triple Option Volume 3






Well, here we go, been a while, figured I'd give you another dose of my famous Triple Option segment!  I know the posting has been few and far between, but remember, I've had to take over for a sick friend and I haven't been a head coach in sometime now.  I'm a bit overwhelmed at the moment as this completely caught me unaware and unprepared.  Anyhow, I've got a few minutes, figured I'd share some things with you.

The Give
Did Peyton Manning ever look pedestrian in last Monday night's outing?!  Three picks in the first quarter!  My hat's off to Atlanta though for doing a great job of disguising coverages and playing with a TON of fire.  I thought they really got after it, and made Denver's life miserable.

Which leads me to my point, is Manning back?  Sure Jon Gruden, with his chopped up WTF haircut, must have said "Manning is not 100%" about 20 times last Monday night, but my question is, why is he starting then?  After the performance Manning put on, Tebow couldn't have been much worse.  I think Elway has hung his nuts out to dry here as if the Manning experiment does't work out, he's going to look exactly like the pretentious douche-bag he is. 



I can't say what I'd rather see, Manning fail, or Manning succeed.  I've always liked Manning, but can't stand Elway, as I think he's pretty much the definition of asshole.  Anyhow, if things don't get better soon, who's to blame, Elway or Manning?  How can you blame the coach, I mean, how much more coaching does a Peyton Manning really need?  I say if this thing gets ugly, look out, you know Elway will throw Fox under the bus!

The Keep
College football is in full swing!  My Florida Gators have been impressive early on, but some tough tests lie ahead.  I do tend to agree with most though, this is NOT the Gator team from a year ago.  This group is fairly physical and the fourth quarter is where they are shining  instead of flopping this season.



I told you we'd be tougher!

Notre Dame has also looked very impressive in the early goings here.  Coach Kelly's ability to stick with a program into its third year just proves you have to give some things a bit more time, when it comes to success.  Not sure three years would be allowed at Florida, USC, or Alabama, however in Notre Dame's case it was needed. 

Am I the only one who things Lane Kiffin is College Football's biggest asshole?  I mean really, this guy is quite the prick.  From what he did at Tennessee (which they've never fully recovered) to how he handles himself in the media is quite alarming.  I don't see what folks see in this guy either, to me, all he has is a famous last name.  USC's fall from grace did make me chuckle, as Stanford simply out muscled USC to quite the embarrassment of Kiffin.  Then Kiffin goes on record taking pot shots at his quarterback Matt Barkley.  Now that's what I call high class.  I think the Kiffin experiment if fixing to take a downward spiral and I can't wait to be there when it comes crashing to the ground.

Speaking of Tennessee, the Volunteer's signal caller look absolutely abysmal in last weeks 37-20 defeat to Florida.  Bray has everything but the mind of a good quarterback.  I don't know if he'll make it on Sundays, as he has the makings of the next Ryan Leaf!  All the talent, but does not have the mental capacity or intestinal fortitude to stand in the pocket and make plays when his team needs him the most.  So where does one draft a choke artist in the NFL draft?



This upcoming week should be a barn burner between Clemson and Florida State.  FSU is on FIRE, but to be honest they really haven't played anybody.  I want to see what they can do against a team like Clemson, which is no Alabama or LSU, but the Tigers are pretty dang athletic.  This should be a damn good football game.

The Pitch
I watched a local high school football game a couple of weeks ago and noticed that the team came out in what amounted to an 8-2-1 kickoff return scheme.  I had only seen such a look when teams would go with their hands team expecting the onside kick.  The other interesting thing about this scheme was that as the ball was being kicked, the KOR team shuffled back just like a DB or a basketball player would.  The blocks were not vicious, however they were exceptionally effective.  I filmed all but one KOR team with my Flip video and the stats were as follows:
  • The KOR team received the ball on average at their own 9 yard line.
  • The KOR team provided the offense with an average field position of it's own 42 yard line.
Now obviously one long return could warp these stats, but there weren't any long returns at all.  The longest return of the night went 40 yards.  What I was impressed with is the percentage of players who were making contact with their defender and staying with him, without having to execute a physically demanding block.  It was almost as if they were just in man to man coverage and only blocked when their defender attempted to cross face. 

I have some video, and I know the coaching staff quite well at this school, so I think I will have a nice post up here in a bit over at Football is Life.  Keep in tune there for more information on the 8-2-1 KOR scheme!



Duece