Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11/01...Where were you?





I was in between jobs and actually working for my dad at the time doing a job off a rural road when I got the news.  A local landowner stopped by our truck and asked if we'd heard that somebody flew a plane into the WTC.  While he was talking about that one, the second plane hit and reports came across his radio.  At that moment I knew that was no accident.  Within the hour rumors were coming in about bombings and buildings collapsing etc.  We packed up and went back to the office where we watched it on T.V.  What a horrific sight to see, and I can tell you this those images are forever burned into my mind. 




I was helping coach a youth league at the time, and I remember going to practice that day, only to find out it had been cancelled.  I remember going to practice the next day and having all those little ones asking questions about what had happened (they were 9-11 year olds).  That was pretty tough, trying to keep those little ones from worrying, and asking all these graphic questions.  It was quite amazing to what knowledge they DID have about the subject.  I remember almost feeling helpless in trying to explain the situation.



We played on Saturdays and the Thursday prior to our game, the league voted to cancel all games.  I remember being quite aggrevated, because in my mind, we had let those terrorists win.  They did EXACTLY what they wanted to do, and brought us to our knees.  I thought playing the game would help the kids, remember that no matter how bad it gets, life goes on.  I wasn't in charge, but many an ear burned from those exact same comments.

What I didn't realize, until last night, while watching a program entitled "9/11, The Hours Afterward", was that how united this country became after such a tragedy.  The statement on the show was that the attacks did something no government, or political leader had ever done in this country and that was to unite the people.  Lines at Red Cross facilities across the country overflowed with people looking to donate blood.  I remember seeing that, and being quite amazed at all the unity.



Anyhow, just a little blurb about where I was on that horrific day, I thought I'd share with you.  No doubt we have moved on, but the important thing is that we NEVER FORGET...



Duece